307 West Avenue Detailed Information
5466 Square Feet
4 Bedrooms / 4 Bathrooms
Frederick Hamlin purchased the lot from Heman Ely, Elyria's founder, in 1836. Hamlin built the first portion (current back) of the house in 1837. Thomas Laundon purchased the property in 1860 and and then built the front portion in 1868. The Laundon family resided here until 1897 when William E. Miller bought it and subdivided the lot into 8 sections. He never lived there. Everet Williams bought the house in 1905 and he added the south garage wing in 1908. Ashton B. Bean was the next owner purchasing it in 1919. Mr. Bean was responsible for the billiard room above the garage and also installed the first plumbing and electricity. His daughter Frances Bean Vair resided in the home until her death in 1975. In 1976 the Lorain County Historical Society purchased the Laundon house from Mrs. Vair's estate. George and Virginia Aden purchased the home in 1990 and lovingly restored it. George Aden passed away in 2010 (obituary) and the home is currently owned by his wife Virginia.
Previous Renovation Projects:
As of 1999: Paint analysis was done of the exterior by Frank Welch who also did the analysis for Monticello. Balustrade above the front porch were restored. Stucco has been restored, rescored and repaired. Original house stripped, sanded, painted. Home rewired. Plaster ceiling medallions, typical of the period, were made on site. Upstairs rooms and first floor Library have been wallpapered in period wallpapers. Upstairs floors refinished. Stripping, sanding, priming and painting the courtyard and the greenhouse rebuilt.